If it has been a while since you visited the dentist or you are very nervous please don’t worry as you are not the first. We are more concerned with getting your dental care back on track, rather than what has happened in the past. It’s important for you to know that at Kempston Dental Practice we are known for treating very anxious and nervous patients and rebuilding their confidence.
For any anxious or nervous patients, take your time, bring someone along if need be. The initial patient consultation is designed to give you time to get comfortable with us as a practice and get to know your dentist and their dental nurse.
Dentists at Kempston Dental Practice have a few tips for you to help ease the fear :
- Visit the dental surgery to have a look around, meet the receptionist and dentist and see the environment. Tell the dentist that you’re anxious and what your fears are, so they know beforehand.
- Pick an appointment time early in the morning so you have less time to dwell on it.
- The first appointment will simply be a check-up so don’t worry about having any treatment. See this first visit as your chance to get to know the dentist.
- Take a friend with you to your appointment. Dentists at Kempston dental practice won’t mind if they accompany you throughout the check-up or treatment.
- Agree a sign with the dentist to signal that you need a break and want them to stop. It can be as simple as pointing your finger, and will help you feel more in control.
- If you think it will help, start gradually with a clean and polish then work up to other treatments, such as fillings, once you’ve built up trust and rapport with your dentist.
- Talk to the dentist about using a numbing gel if you have a fear of needles.
- Use headphones to listen to music during your visit. It may help you relax.
- We also can provide IV sedation at Kempston Dental Practice at request by our trained medical professionals. This is great for patients who prefer not to fully experience some dental treatments. We can help you relax with Intravenous Sedation using Midazolam. You will be able to hear things as verbal contact will be maintained but you will gave little recollection about the procedure. Please ask your dentist for more information.
Give us a try and come and meet our friendly team by calling us on 01234 851 192.