Bruxism – the grinding and clenching of teeth
Most people are completely unaware that they grind their teeth at night because often they do it whilst they sleep.
Don’t be surprised if your dentist says that you should be wearing a nightguard.
Bruxism is the medical term for forceful clenching and/or grinding of your teeth. It is considered a major cause of tooth problems. Some patients will say that they notice signs of wear, but it is not just a cosmetic problem it also causes strain on the jaw joints.
If allowed to persist, grinding may cause temperature sensitivity, pain because the wear gets down to the nerve, cracks in the teeth, receding gums, and eventually lost teeth. Grinding can also cause migraine headaches and pain in the shoulders, neck, back, and ears.
For habitual grinders, an occlusal splint may be the only viable treatment option. There are a number of splints and mouth guards available, including soft bite-raising appliances, nightguards, and the SCi splint.
Sleep Clench Inhibitor (SCi & SCi+)
Previously known as NTI-tss, the SCi is an FDA-approved treatment for TMD, bruxism, and medically diagnosed migraines. With excellent clinical results, SCi and SCi+ are proven to relieve patient symptoms.
How does the SCi work?
The SCi reduces the parafunctional intensity of the temporalis, masseters, and lateral pterygoids (the tiny muscles at your jaw joints that open your jaw), eliminating posterior and canine contact, thereby reducing temporalis clenching.
Indications for SCi
All cases requiring disconnection of the occlusion and/or the relaxation of the masticatory musculature, such as:
- The prevention of symptoms associated with bruxism.
- The treatment of certain types of TMD.
- The prevention of occlusal trauma, e.g. protection of restorations and implants in cases of severe bruxism.
- The prevention and treatment of chronic tension-type headache and migraine pain.
Advantages of the SCi
- Excellent clinical results.
- Extremely simple and fast chairside procedure: fabrication in 20 minutes; no delays or lab fees.
- Excellent patient acceptance and compliance.
- High diagnostic value.
- Scientifically proven efficacy.
Please talk to your dentist about the different treatment options available from Nightguards to Sci splints.